Saturday, August 14, 2010

PLEASE ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF

Welcome, friends, to this account of my trip in Colorado along the Colorado Trail in the summer of ‘010.  My name is Jonathan Chambers and I will be your tour guide.  Here we have a tale of wild adventure of the Old West complete with gambling, prostitution, cheap whiskey, and guns.  None of that is true, mostly, but suffice to say it was an extraordinary adventure packed with excitement and discovery, and one I will never be able to forget unless I get Alzheimer’s.  I kept a pretty good journal on this trail and even as I sit back and recall it all my memories of it are still quite vivid.  I hope that I have rendered it entertaining enough for you to enjoy reading it.  The title of the collection is pretty accurate.  I do a lot of ridiculous things, and even if I don’t manage to learn from them I do find them funny.  Some of it’s downright embarrassing, and I have left nothing out even though it could bring shame upon me.  At the same time, my foolishness was rather mild in the sense that I made it out alive and unscathed.  Half the point here is that whatever motivation anyone could have for wanting to live in the woods and walk up and down mountains for two months is in itself sort of silly.  But it’s so much fun and there’s no efficient way to explain it all.  That’s why the entries for this are rather long.  It’s for me as much as it is for anyone, and it is very much for my family, friends, and anyone who helped make the trip possible, of whom there are many.
I’m going to diverge from the standard “blog” format a little bit and lump a bunch of days into the same segment for the most part.  I think this’ll help keep it a little more clear.  As cantankerous and coarse as I can be in my humor, I will, for the most part, refrain from language deemed to be R rated except where it is contextually relevant.  I am a man of wealth and taste as long as your idea of wealth doesn’t involve having any money or your idea of taste includes a sense of decorum.
In addition to writing a lot on this trip, I did my best to take the time to take pictures.  I never really liked dealing with cameras and don’t even like having my picture taken.  I can only imagine how a mountain or tree can feel about it since they are unable to move, at least of their own accord.  Occasionally they’d fall over near me or drop a rock or two in my general direction, but their timing is poor and their aim is worse.  I would also like to thank them for being patient with me.  In the end, I hope the pictures I took will be pleasing to look at, though I am far from being a photographer.  I did my best.  
So without further ado, here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment